Our one-day Workshops on small scale real estate development are all about project formation. We take a big picture view of neighborhood-based development to help attendees analyze what makes a good project, how a building makes money, and how small developers interact with the broader ecosystem of professionals in the built environment. By the end of the Workshop, aspiring developers will feel more prepared to take the first steps on their own project.
WHO ARE THE WORKSHOPS FOR?
- Individuals in construction, design, planning or real estate looking to either enhance their current practice or make a career transition
- Volunteers or professionals in business associations, main street associations, historic preservation groups and neighborhood improvement groups looking to champion incremental development in their communities
- Public sector professionals in city management, economic development, planning, and related agencies who are looking to make it easier for small development projects to occur in their town
- Professionals in non-profit development organizations, churches, and community or housing development organizations who need new strategies for small lot development
- Private banking professionals specializing in mortgages, commercial real estate loans or SBA loans and professionals at Community Development Financial Institutions and Community Foundations who want to become more effective investors
WHAT HAPPENS AT THE WORKSHOPS?
- Personal skills assessment to identify gaps in expertise
- An example exercise, walking through a development project
- Presentations on: finance, zoning, strategy